Blepharitis is defined as chronic inflammation of the lid margin.
- Old age.
- Uncontrolled error of refraction
-squamous blepharitis is mainly metabollic , being a manifestation of seborrhea ( dandruff of the scalp is often present)
– squamous blepharitis is caused by infection by weak organism which splits zeis gland secretion into irritant fatty acids.
- Small , white scales are present between the lashes.
- Removal of the scales reveals a hyperemic lid margin.
– ptylosis ( thickening and hypertrophy of lid margin) is considered a complication to squamous blepharitis.
- General treatment of seborrhea.
- Remove scales by a piece of cotton wetted by 3% sodium bicarbonate or by using baby shampoo.
- Apply antibiotic ointment into the lid margin.
- Steroid eye ointment.