Papillitis is acute inflammation of the optic disc.
- The Commonest cause for papillitis is demyelinating diseases ( like multiple sclerosis).
- Infection ( primary as in poliovirus infection and TB or secondary as in meningitis , cellulitis , retinitis and uvitis).
- Metabollic diseases ( DM and vit. B deficiency).
- Antigen antibody reaction ( septic focus).
rapid marked drop of vision , up to hand movement.
- Central scotoma for green and red.
- Pupil have reactive unsustained reaction.
- Disc is elevated 3D and retina is less congested than papilledena.
- Spontaneous recovery occur in most of cases.
- Recurrence after recovery is common.
- Post papillitic optic atrophy.
Treatment if the cause + systemic cortisone + vit. B complex.