Orbital cellulitis is acute suppurative inflammation of the orbital cellular fibro_fatty tissue.
Orbital cellulitis is caused by direct infection from penetrating wounds or following trauma/spread of infection from nose, teeth, globe/blood borne as in septicemia.
Orbital cellulitis is caused usually by staphylococcus, streptococcus, pneumococcus and rarely fungi.
- Fever, malaise.
- Local pain.
- Vision is good at the beginning , but latter it decreases due to optic neuritis.
- Edema of lid and conjunctiva.
- Limitation of ocular motility.
- Formation of an abscess.
- Brain abscess and cavernous sinus thrombosis.
- Optic neuritis.
- Central retinal vein thrombosis.
- Frozen orbit.
- Corneal exposure.
- General spread leading to septicemia and pyemia.
- Hot formentation.
- Incision and drainage if abscess is formed.
Treatment of corneal exposure.